Arbor Global’s founder, President, and Managing Director is Kevin K. Eckert. Kevin brings a strong, international reputation for proven expertise and results to clients. With over 20 years of active, hands-on program research, design, implementation, and management experience, Kevin has developed a high level of knowledge, skills, and abilities with the diversity of issues and challenges encountered in tropical and temperate arboriculture and vegetation management. He is an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist and ISA Certified Utility Specialist. In recognition of his significant contributions to Utility Arboriculture, Kevin was awarded the International Society of Arboriculture Utility Arborist Award at its Annual Conference in Birmingham, England.
You may also download the CV as a PDF file
- B.S. Forestry, West Virginia University
- B.S. Recreation & Park Management, West Virginia University
- Professional Certifications
- International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist – WE-1785
- International Society of Arboriculture Certified Utility Specialist
- Award of Merit – 2007, Western Chapter – International Society of Arboriculture: Highest award category of the Western Chapter recognizes outstanding, meritorious service in advancing the principles, ideals, and practices of progressive arboriculture.
- Honorary Life Membership – 2007 International Society of Arboriculture: Recognition of significant contributions in support of the annual conference.
- Kuhina Award – 2002, Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau: Recognizes contribution to Hawai’i’s visitor industry through lead role in the procurement of the International Society of Arboriculture conference in Hawai’i.
- Utility Arborist Award – 1998, International Society of Arboriculture: Highest award category for the Utility Arborist Association recognizes significant contributions to utility arboriculture.
- Certificate of Appreciation -1997, Edison Electric Institute Vegetation Management Task Force: Recognizes leadership role in the formulation and direction of this national industry policy and lobbying association.
- Arbor Global LLC/Arbor Global Hong Kong Ltd. (President and Managing Director): 2002 – present
- Hawaiian Electric Company (System Forester): 1994 – 2002
- Eastern Utilities Associates (System Forester): 1989 – 1994
- New England Power Service Company (Right-of-Way Forester): 1982 – 1989
- Asplundh Environmental Services, Inc. (Now Environmental Consultants Inc.) (Project Manager/Field Supervisor-Data Collection Technician): 1980 – 1982
- Practicing Arborist (Supervisor/Climber): 1983 – present
- International Society of Arboriculture: 1989 – present
- Chair, ISA 2007 Annual Conference Committee: 2005 – 2007
- Hawaii State Arborist Certification Liaison: 1996 – present
- Chair of Western Chapter Arborist Certification Committee: 1998 – present
- International Society of Arboriculture Certification Liaison Committee: 1998 – present
- Chair of Western Chapter Utility Committee: 1995 – 1998
- Utility Arborists Association: 1989 – present
- President: 2002 – 2003
- Board of Directors: 2000 – 2004
- Kaulunani, Hawaii the Beautiful, Council (Federal and State-sponsored Urban & Community Forestry Program): 1994 – present
- Chair: 1996 – present
- Aloha Arborists Association (Local Professional Association): 1994 – present
- Green Hawaii Committee (Tree Preservation, Planting, and Community Beautification Team): founded in 2000 – present
- The Outdoor Circle (Environmental Association): 1994 – present
- The Nature Conservancy (International Environmental Association): 1990 – present
- Edison Electric Institute Vegetation Management Task Force: founding in 1990 – 2002
- Vice-Chair 1993-95
- Chair: 1995-97
- Hawaiian Sugar Planters Assoc. Pesticide Management Council: 1996
- As President and Managing Director of Arbor Global, provide full technical, administrative, and executive services for both US and Hong Kong corporations. Actively provide services that include the development, design, oversight, direction, and provision of arboriculture and vegetation management consulting services to electric utilities, government agencies, regulatory agencies, environmental organizations, corporate clients, and property owners and managers within Hawaii, the mainland United States, the Pacific Rim, and Asia. Services include tree risk assessment, tree valuation, tree preservation during construction, program assessment and development, performance auditing, consultation on tree selection, care and maintenance, technical training in professional arboriculture standards and practices, and expert witness services.
- As System Forester for HECO and EUA led the design and administration of measurably successful tree and vegetation management programs that provided cost-effective, environmentally sound, and technically correct line clearance and access to facilities along cross-country rights-of-way.
- As Managing Director and chief consultant for Hawaiian Electric Company Integrated Vegetation Management Services (IVMS), provided expert arboriculture and vegetation management consulting services to electric utility clients within Hawaii, the mainland United States, and Hong Kong.
- Design and conduct comprehensive program audits and recommendations for municipalities and an audit of a major West Coast electric utility for the Public Utility Commission.
- Preparation and conduct of professional arborist and tree worker education programs in all aspects of arboriculture, including aerial rescue and electrical hazards awareness programs.
- Preparation and conduct of chain saw safety and field maintenance education program for government agencies, tree companies, and Spanish-speaking tree workers.
- Preparation and conduct of educational classes for ISA Arborist Certification and Western Chapter ISA Certified Tree Worker candidates across the United States and the Pacific Rim;
- Leadership in the development of the revised Western Chapter ISA Certified Tree Worker Exam;
- Preparation and conduct of Pesticide Certification/Re-Certification classes at the request of State agencies in four New England States, California, and Hawaii;
- Preparation and presentation of informational and educational programs for numerous professional and civic organizations, corporate executives, and managers on topics including utility best management practices, work performance auditing, proper pruning practices, tree identification, right tree/right place programs, tree planting, and care, integrated vegetation management, electrical safety, tree appraisal, hazard tree identification, and tree problem diagnosis;
- Design and conduct of numerous research projects on integrated vegetation management methods, herbicide application, and tree growth regulators;
- Preparation and presentation of expert testimony to legislative subcommittees, regulatory agencies, attorneys, and the courts.
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Eckert, K. K. and P. Simpson. May 1994. “Assessing the Feasibility of Collaborative Utility-Municipal Tree Removal and Planting.” International Society of Arboriculture. Journal of Arboriculture. Volume 20, Number 3.
Recent Articles in Industry Publications
- Eckert, K. K. “Could Your Company Benefit From Effective Work Crews?” Transmission & Distribution World. Volume 57, Issue 6. June 2006.
- Eckert, K. K. “Proper Chain Saw Sharpening.” Tree Care Industry Magazine. Volume XVI, Number 4 – April 2005.
- Eckert, K. K. “Utility Tree and Vegetation Management (UVM): An Introduction and Description of Successful Programs.” EnergyPulse – www.energycentral.com. July 2004.
- Eckert, K. K. “Performance Audits: Effective, Objective Contract Crew Performance Field Audits Are Required to Ensure Cost-Effective Program Performance” Proceedings of the CBI Strategic Utility Vegetation Management Conference. Arlington, VA. June 2004.
- Eckert, K. K. “How to Successfully Prepare for the ISA Certification Exam.” Arborist News. International Society of Arboriculture. Spring 2004.
- Eckert, K. K. “Utility Vegetation Management (UVM): How Does it Work and What Are the Procurement Challenges.” Proceedings of the CBI 2nd Annual Strategic Supply Chain Management for Utilities Best Practices. Orlando, FL. January 2004.
- Eckert, K. K. “When to Consider Tree Removal and Replacement.” Hawaii Landscape. March/April 2000.
- Eckert, K. K. “Integrated Vegetation Management: Considerations to Specific Site Conditions.” Hawaii Landscape. November/December 1999.
- Eckert, K. K. “Integrated Vegetation Management: An Overview of Control Options.” Hawaii Landscape. September/October 1999.
- Eckert, K. K. “Integrated Vegetation Management: What it is and Does it Work?” Hawaii Landscape. July/August 1999.
- Eckert, K. K. “Maintaining Plants to Grow and Thrive.” Hawaii Landscape. March/April 1999.
- Eckert, K. K. “Planting Procedure.” Hawaii Landscape. January/February 1999.
- Eckert, K. K. “Plant Selection at the Nursery.” Hawaii Landscape. November/December 1998.
- Eckert, K. K. “Right Tree/Right Place.” Hawaii Landscape. September/October 1998.
- Eckert, K. K. 2003. Chain Saw Safety and Field Maintenance – A Photo Guide. Hot Pixel Press/Arbor Global LLC. Kailua, HI.
Expert Witness Testimony
Case, Date, Activity, Trial
- Lexington Insurance Co., et al v. Cleveland Electric, et al, 2007, Research, Pending
- Hopewell v. Hong Kong Planning Board, 2006, Report, Pending
- Andrews v . Green Thumb et al, 2006, Research, Pending
- West Virginia Flood Litigation, 2006, Research, Pending
- Mitchem v. Columbia Forest Products et al, 2006, Review, Pending
- Alderman v. Asplundh et al, 2006, Testimony, Trial
- WECI v. Davey Tree et al, 2005, Deposition, Settled
- Engle v Nilasoni et al, 2005, Research, Settled
- Miyamoto v. Hawaiian Electric Company et al, 2004, Deposition, Settled
- Hemphill v. Florida Power and Light et al, 2003, Deposition, Settled
- Rameriz v. Hawaiian Electric Company et al, 2002, Deposition, Settled
- Illinois Power Company ICCC Petition, 2002, Testimony, Settled
- Hunt v. USA: Civil No. 99-00420, 2001, Testimony, Settled
- ALLTEL et al. v. West Penn Power Company, 2000, Testimony, Adj. Hearing
- Mizushima v. Hawaiian Electric Co, Inc., 2000, Research, Settled
- Cesar v. Hawaiian Electric Co, Inc., 1998, Deposition, Settled
- Plouffe v. Hawaiian Electric Co, Inc., et al., 1998, Deposition, Settled
- Nofoa v. USA et al., 1996, Review, Settled
- Tau v. Hawaiian Electric Co, Inc., et al., 1996, Review, Settled
- Milner v. Hawaiian Electric Co, Inc., 1994, Testimony, Trial